Student Health Insurance FAQs

Health insurance information for the 2015-16 academic year is coming soon.

If I am currently uninsured how do I get health insurance?
Health insaurance is available for New Mexico students through the New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange. ( International students can get information on health insurance plans by contacting Tim Cummons at 800-346-4075 extension 1452 or

What insurance company handles the Student Health Insurance plan for St. John’s College?
United Healthcare Student Resources is the insurance company for the 2014-2015 school year.

How do I obtain an ID card from United Healthcare?
Students will receive an email to their St. John’s College email account with an ID card. In the event you need a temporary or replacement card you can go to

The plan summary mentions “Preferred Providers” and “Out-of-Network Providers” – what is the difference?
Preferred Providers are Physicians, Hospitals and other health care providers who have contracted with United Healthcare to provide specific medical care at negotiated prices.

Out-of-Network Providers are Physicians, Hospitals or other care providers who have not agreed to any prearranged fee schedules.

Does it matter if I use a “Preferred Provider” or “Out-of-Network Provider”?
Yes – if you use a “Preferred Provider” you will only be responsible for 20% of any cost for the services other than the predetermined Co-pay amount for the service. If you use an “Out-of-Network Provider” you will be responsible for the Co-pay plus 40% of the Usual & Customary charges for medical services.

What is a “co-pay”?
A co-pay is the amount you will be required to pay for a specific medical service. The co-pay will vary, please refer to the schedule of benefits in the plan document. You can obtain a copy of the plan document by going to and selecting St. John’s College.

If I have a problem with our Student Health Plan whom should I contact?
The St. John’s College Student Health Plan is administered by RCM&D, an insurance broker in Baltimore, MD. They can assist you with:

  • Explaining your benefit plan’s features and provisions
  • Assistance with insurance claims

You can contact Tim Cummons at 800-346-4075 extension 1452 or

If I need medical attention where should I go?
If you do not need emergency medical attention you should initially contact the St. John’s College Health Center. The Health Center will be able to determine if you need a medical specialist. In the event it is a medical emergency you should go to the nearest medical facility in your area.

Does the Student Health Plan pay for prescription drugs?
Yes – the plan does pay for prescription drugs. Please refer to the plan summary for the specific co-pays and limitations.

Can I go to any pharmacy?
No – please refer to the enclosed listing of the pharmacies that are in network or go to to find a pharmacy.

Does the Student Health Plan pay for routine physicals?
Yes – the plan does pay for a routine physical under preventive services. The plan does pay for Women’s Preventive Health Services. Refer to the plan summary for details on what is covered under Women’s Preventive care.

Does the plan include any dental benefits?
Dental benefits are limited to injury to sound teeth, natural teeth, dental abscesses or impacted wisdom teeth only.

Can I purchase coverage for my spouse or dependent child(ren)?
Yes – coverage is available for your spouse of dependent child. Details of the cost and how to enroll can be found at

What is the annual cost per student? 
$1,381.00 (August 21, 2013 to August 20, 2014)

back to Student Accounts 2013-14