Interlibrary Loan Request FAQ

What is ILL?
Interlibrary Loan involves resource sharing between the SJC library and other libraries. Meem Library borrows materials from other libraries for our patrons; in turn, we lend to other libraries.

Who can use ILL?
Current students, faculty and staff are eligible.

When should I use ILL?
Check our online catalogue and the serials holdings list (for journals and magazines) to ensure the Meem Library does not hold your resources. When our library does not have the material you need, or they are currently being used by other patrons, submit an ILL request. You may submit no more than 10 requests at a time.

How do I request material?
Complete an ILL form at the Circulation Desk, or email Laura Cooley, public services librarian, at You can also fill out an online request form.

From which libraries does SJC borrow?
Many requests are filled by New Mexico libraries or libraries in the surrounding states; some might come from farther parts of the U.S.

Is there a fee?
We try to request from those libraries who loan for free first. If we anticipate a charge, we will contact you to see if you would be willing to pay the fee. The fee will be collected upon receipt of the item at the Circulation Desk. The typical ILL fee is $20.

How long does it take?
Receipt of materials most often takes approximately 7-10 working days, though items sometimes take two to three weeks. Rare and audio visual titles take longer to receive as they tend to be shipped from farther away.

Where do I pick up materials?
We will send journal articles to you through campus mail or e-mail. Books may be picked up at the Circulation Desk after you are notified that your request has arrived.

Loan Periods?
Photocopied journal articles are yours to keep. Loan periods for other materials depend on the lending library’s loan policy.

Where do I return items?
Materials must be returned to the Circulation Desk. DO NOT DROP ILL ITEMS IN THE BOOK BINS.

Penalties for late returns?
Libraries may refuse to lend to SJC if materials are late. If you return ILL items late more than once, your ILL borrowing privileges will be suspended for the remainder of the semester.

What if I want to visit another library myself to borrow books?
The academic libraries in New Mexico have agreed to allow users from other New Mexico academic libraries to visit them and borrow books. To do this, you must first obtain a special Passport at your own library. A Passport may only be used at one library. Separate passports need to be issued for each library you wish to visit. To obtain a passport, see the Public Services Librarian at Meem Library.