Randall Hall was called Senior Hall early in its history, but now is used to house exclusively freshmen. Located on the quad, Randall typically is bustling with activity. The dining hall is located on the first floor; student housing is found on the second and third floors. The kitchen and a number of college offices are on the ground floor. A patio overlooking the back fields is a popular gathering place on warm afternoons.
Originally a duplex for faculty housing, Paca Carroll House was completed during a mid-19th century building boom at the college. The structure became a fraternity house in 1929 before being transformed into a dormitory in 1938. It was renovated in 1981 and more than doubled in size. Now, Paca Carroll houses sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Located off the quad and adjacent to the library patio, it is generally quieter than other dorms on campus. It has a single common room complete with a functional fireplace and a communal refrigerator. Rooms consist of divided doubles and singles, with one multi-person loft.
Chase Stone House was built as a home for the president and vice-president of the college. It later became a fraternity house, then a dormitory. Complete with large windows, high ceilings and wood floors, Chase Stone is located behind Pinkney Hall and is one of the most coveted dorms on campus. It has a laundry room and popular basement common room (commonly known as the “Chasement”) complete with a functional fireplace. Many of the rooms have non-functional fireplaces. Upperclassmen live in single rooms; freshmen live in doubles.
Built before the Civil War, Pinkney Hall wasn’t occupied until after the war, when the college reopened with an increased enrollment. Despite being situated near the quad, Pinkney is generally quieter than Humphrey, Randall and Campbell halls. The ground floor houses administrative offices for the college. Single and split-double dorm rooms take up the second, third and fourth floors and house both freshmen and upperclassmen. The dorm rooms have wood floors. The Annapolis Cup croquet match against the Naval Academy takes place steps from the building on the front lawn.
Humphreys Hall was known as “the boarding house” when it was built. It was the first dormitory on campus and has a colorful history. Humphreys was used as a military hospital and morgue during the Civil War, the library from 1837 to 1900 and a science laboratory from 1932 to 1958, when it was reclaimed as a dormitory. The building now houses the bookstore in the basement and freshmen on the three floors above it.
Located on the quad, Campbell Hall is the largest dorm with room for about 70 students on four floors. Campbell has a common room in the basement, along with a laundry room and kitchen. While Randall Hall became the dormitory for women when they were first admitted to the college in 1951, Campbell was eventually designated as the women’s dormitory until it went co-ed in the 1970s. Campbell has double and single rooms.
Not far from College Creek, Gilliam Hall is one of the most modern dorms on campus. Each floor has two common rooms, private bathrooms and small kitchen spaces. The ground floor contains a full kitchen with room for dining. The basement level has laundry rooms. Rooms on the western side have an unobstructed view of College Creek. The dorm is occupied by upperclassmen, with divided double and single rooms. It is named for James H. Gilliam Jr., a trustee of the Hodson Trust, which has supported a number of projects at St. John’s.
Spector Hall is the newest dormitory on campus, located next to Gilliam Hall and nearby athletic fields. Spector has many of the same modern amenities as Gilliam, with the added attraction of a media room in the basement in addition to the laundry room. The dorm consists of double and single rooms, available to upperclassmen. It is named for Philip Spector, father of Warren Spector (A81), whose gift made construction of the dorm possible.