Skip to Main Content

Satisfactory Academic Progress

In accordance with federal regulations, St. John’s College is required to have a policy and a procedure for measuring the academic progress of students in order to maintain eligibility for federal financial aid. Student academic progress is reviewed at the end of each academic year. The three components of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy are explained below.

Qualitative Standard

To make satisfactory academic progress, undergraduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0; graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. These standards apply to both full-time and part-time students.

Quantitative Standard

All students must complete at least two-thirds of attempted credits. All attempted credit hours are counted whether or not financial aid was received. This calculation includes all hours in which a student is registered at the time of withdrawal. If a student registers for a class in which he or she was previously enrolled for more than three weeks, the class will be considered as repeated work and the student will not be eligible for institutional financial assistance. Exceptions to this policy may be granted by the Dean in the case of involuntary withdrawal due to illness or other mitigating circumstances.

Maximum Time Frame

Federal regulations require that an institution set a maximum time frame in which students must complete their educational objectives. St. John’s has set six years as the maximum time frame in which students who receive federal funds must earn their degree. Years in which a student is not enrolled at St. John’s College will not count in the six-year limitation.

Because of the fully prescribed curriculum, students with Incompletes will not be allowed to move forward to the next term until those courses are completed. Course withdrawals will need to be repeated in a subsequent term before a student is allowed to continue with their academic program.

The Financial Aid Office will provide information about the appeal process to the affected students. Students may request an exception when failing satisfactory standards by submitting a petition/appeal to the Financial Aid Office. Petitions/Appeals must contain the following:

  • A personal statement, explaining the extenuating circumstances which prevented Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Documentation: For example, if you had an illness that prevented you from attending classes, you must provide a statement from your physician or photocopies of medical bills during the semester in question.