Chat with us, powered by LiveChat


Types of Grants

A grant is a type of “gift aid” that does not require repayment on the part of the student. Grants have different requirements in order to determine eligibility. Need-based grants require students to submit a FAFSA or CSS Profile. (Students interested in learning about grant eligibility should use the FASFA4caster for more information.)

Students who reside in the United States are automatically considered for federal need-based grants simply by applying for the FAFSA. These grants include the following:

Federal Pell Grant

This grant program is funded by the U.S. Federal Government. Awards are based on eligibility as determined by the FAFSA. The family’s federal expected contribution must fall below a certain threshold to qualify for a Pell Grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

The Federal Government allocates a limited amount of SEOG funds to the college. To be eligible to receive SEOG, a student must be receiving the Federal Pell Grant.

St. John’s Grants

Funds for these grants are provided by the college from its own resources. They are awarded on the basis of financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Much of the funding for St. John’s grants is provided by endowment funds and annual gifts to the college. Recipients of these grants may be asked to write a note of appreciation to the appropriate donor.

Maryland State Grants

The state of Maryland offers residents various need-based grants through the Maryland Higher Education Commission. In order to be considered for these grants, students must submit their FAFSA by their priority deadline of March 1. Please note that St. John’s priority deadline is February 1. Below is a list of Maryland’s need-based grants. Residents of other states should check with their state regarding grant availability and deadlines.

Howard P. Rawlings Program of Educational Excellence Awards:

New Mexico State Incentive Grants

These grants were created to provide aid for undergraduate students with substantial financial need. This need-based award varies from $200 to $2,500 per year. Part-time students are eligible for pro-rated awards. These grants are for New Mexico residents only and are not transferrable outside the state.