Skip to Main Content

Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a study abroad program?

Yes, the college offers a semester abroad for juniors in Aix-en-Provence, France! Students from both campuses may participate; the program of study in France will include every aspect of the established curriculum of the spring semester of junior year (seminar, tutorials, and laboratory). In France, students will learn the language that is the focus of the junior year at St. John’s College—but in a living context—and will experience the readings of the junior seminar and tutorials from within their original cultural setting.

Other Study Abroad Options

Beyond Aix-en-Provence during junior year, many students choose to study or travel abroad during the summer. Our Career Services Office helps connect students to summer study abroad programs offered through other institutions in places such as Italy, France, Argentina, Australia, Ireland, the United Kingdom, and China. Students may also apply for Pathways Fellowships to fund summer classes taken at universities in the United States or abroad. In recent years, Pathways has funded students studying in Germany, France, China, and Israel.

Do you offer AP credit or IB credit?

St. John’s does not accept credit for college classes, AP scores, or IB scores. These test scores can help you in the admissions process.

Will my credits transfer to other colleges if I leave St. John’s?

All work done at the college is fully accredited and transferable to other colleges and universities. The college provides the receiving institution with a key that breaks our program down into conventional units by subject area.

How do students go to graduate school without any majors?

It is a common misconception that to enter a particular field of graduate or professional study you need a corresponding undergraduate major. Our students regularly go on to advanced study at leading institutions all across the country in almost any field imaginable, even though they have all followed the same undergraduate program. The college, in fact, ranks in the top 3% of all colleges and universities in the United States in the percentage of its students who earn doctoral degrees. See Career Services for more information.

Can I apply for early entrance (without finishing high school)?

Each year the college admits a handful of students who do not plan to complete high school. Usually, these students are coming to college midway through their senior year or directly from 11th grade. Applicants for early entrance should have strong academic records and good reasons for leaving high school early. Typically, these applicants have completed all the core academic work available to them in high school and wish to move on to be challenged.

Do I need to submit SAT scores?

St. John’s is test optional for most applicants. Although most applicants will still submit test scores and they can be helpful in the admissions process, no one is admitted or denied admission simply on the basis of test scores; they are only one of many factors considered.

Some applicants must submit test results: Applicants who will not earn high school diplomas or are home schooled must submit the results of the SAT or ACT. International students who are not educated in English must submit the results of the SAT, ACT, TOEFL, or IELTS.

Do you accept homeschooled students?

The college welcomes homeschooled students. Applications from homeschoolers must include the results of the SAT or ACT and a detailed account of the curriculum.